The catalogue of the Holm oak insect-fauna in the Middle Atlas (Morocco)

Publication Type:Journal Article
Authors:M. Arahou
Journal:Documents de l'Institut Scientifique (Rabat)
Date Published:2008
Type of Article:Article
:Apion (Oxystoma) ochropus

This document presents the list of 310 species of insecta collected on the Holm oak in the Moroccan Middle Atlas during the period 1983-1987 with an update of the names of the species and their distribution. Several species were collected for the first time in the Middle Atlas area and 8 are new for Morocco. The Coleoptera constitute more than the 2/3 of the collected fauna. This entomofauna includes Mediterranean (65%), European (25%) and Palearctic species (10%). Phytophaga are 75% of the fauna, the remaining 25% are predators. The species living in the underwood are more abundant than the phytophaga living on the trees. Several categories were distinguished: those with a wide distribution, the Mediterranean species (distribution area of the Holm oak), the North African ones and the endemic.

Scratchpads developed and conceived by (alphabetical): Ed Baker, Katherine Bouton Alice Heaton Dimitris Koureas, Laurence Livermore, Dave Roberts, Simon Rycroft, Ben Scott, Vince Smith